The Trombone Studio at the
University of South Carolina
Applying to the Graduate Programs in Music.
Here's an assortment of information about the trombone studio at the USC School of Music
- Average studio size: 15-20
- Majors: Mostly undergraduates. Most undergraduates are pursuing music education but a few major in performance.
- All music majors currently study with me, not a teaching assistant.
- In addition to private lessons, I give weekly masterclasses.
- Music education majors typically receive a 40-minute weekly lesson. Performance majors receive a one-hour lesson.
- The School of Music has a performance certificate program. This program is designed for trombonists wishing to excel on their instruments but not as a performance major. It poses playing challenges comparable to the performance major. For example, students receive a one-hour lesson and perform both a junior and senior recital. Many music education majors also pursue the performance certificate. In fact, you don't even need to be a music major to earn a performance certificate.
- Studio masterclass/event schedule for
All trombonists perform in a chamber ensemble of some kind on the Fall and Spring Trombone Night concerts. Any groups wishing to rehearse more seriously can register to receive coaching. In the past I've had quartets give full recitals and prepare audition tapes for competitions.
The Carolina Trombone Collective (CTC) is select ensemble of trombone students
at the University of South Carolina.
Besides trombone ensembles, students participate in the main ensembles at USC...
The USC Symphony
Here are some of the guest artists we've had...
George Curran, Bass Trombonist, Atlanta Symphony Orchestra
Matt Guilford, Bass Trombonist, National Symphony Orchestra
Jim Miller, Associate Principal Trombonist of the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Colin Williams, Principal Trombonist of the Atlanta Symphony
Milt Stevens, Principal Trombonist of the National Symphony
John Marcellus, Trombone Teacher at the Eastman School of Music
Trombones de Costa Rica, Trombone Quartet
United States Marine Band Trombone Section